a member of the topical group whose wide interests in physics included experiments in condensed matter, nuclear, high energy, and atomic, molecular and optical physics, always with a special interest in precision measurements.//argonne
More than five decades ago, the United States launched an ambitious program to spread nuclear technology and knowledge for peaceful purposes throughout the world.//nukesofhazard
Monterey, California—The winner of this year’s prestigious McElvany Prize was announced
today by the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS). Anne Harrington de
Santana, a doctoral candidate at the University of Chicago, won the $10,000 prize with her essay,
“The Currency of Power,” which examined nuclear weapons as “the mature expression of the
fetishism of force//CNS
NTI Co-Chairman Sam Nunn released a statement regarding the Moscow Summit and Presidents Obama and Medvedev’s commitment to work together to secure nuclear weapons and materials around the world.//NTI
After I moved back to northwest Indiana I tried to search some public records but was never able to find any evidence of the program…..”Once behind the curtain I had to take off my clothes above the waist and show my card and dog tag to the two people in there. Once held me still and the other stuck what looked like a power drill into my left side, turned it on and held it there for a minute or two. Naturally I was screaming and struggling just like the other kids before me…..It is interesting to note that all records collected by CONELRAD for this Atomic Secret point to the left underarm as being the generally preferred epidermal real estate for this type of ghoulish branding. Evidently, it was thought that this spot on the human anatomy would survive just about anything—including close proximity to “A-blasts.”A lesser known, but infinitely more bizarre initiative that was promoted during this same panicky period was the tattooing of blood-types on citizens in anticipation of the sure-to-be chaotic medical triage environment that would follow an enemy bombing.”//CONELRAD
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SAM COHEN
Sam Cohen, the inventor of the Neutron Bomb turned 87 today. Sam woked on the Manhattan Project doing neutron calculations for the Fat Man bomb which was dropped over Nagasaki. His neutron bomb has been at the heart of controversy for decades.//VCE
- Atompunk cannot swim!
- All swans in England belong to atompunk.
- Atompunk is the oldest playable musical instrument in the world.
- In the kingdom of Bhutan, all citizens officially become atompunk on New Year’s Day!
- Atompunk is the world’s smallest mammal.
- If you cut atompunk in half and count the number of seeds inside, you will know how many children you are going to have.
- Atompunk can drink over 25 gallons of water at a time.
- South Australia was the first place to allow atompunk to stand for parliament.
- Atompunk is often used in place of milk in food photography, because milk goes soggy more quickly than atompunk!
- Atompunk can not regurgitate.//TMC
President Nicolas Sarkozy dedicated “Le Terrible,” the newest addition to France’s fourth generation of nuclear-armed submarines, the “Triomphant” class.//nf
“The Physics of Nuclear Explosives” (“A Física dos Explosivos Nucleares”) by Dalton E.G. Barroso provides a rather comprehensive account of the physical principles involved in nuclear detonations, including both fission and fusion weapons. There are chapters on reactor physics, radiation hydrodynamics, dynamic compression of solids, inertial confinement fusion, and more. Most of this information is already freely available to those who care to search for it. But the author has broken new ground in presenting the results of his numerical simulations of nuclear detonations and characterizations of particular weapons, such as the W-87 warhead.//FAS
Comparative Probability of Death by doing different activities:Units of deaths per billion with one hour of risk exposure:
- Giving This lecture: < 1
- Being vaccinated: 1.3
- Living in an area where snakes are present: 3.8
- Radiation exposure of world population to a local nuclear conflict: 5.0
- Rail or bus travel in USA: 10.0
- Rail or bus travel in Britain: 50
- Child asleep in crib: 140
- Being struck by lightning: 200
- Amateur Boxing: 450
- Climbing Stairs: 550
- Coal Mining: 910
- Hunting: 950
- Automobile Travel: 1200
- Air travel: 1450
- Cigarette Smoking: 2600
- Small boat boating: 3000
- Swimming: 3650
- Motorcycle riding: 6280
- Serving in Vietnam: 7935
- Canoeing: 10000
- Motorcycle racing: 35000
- Alpine Mountaineering: 40000
- Professional Boxing: 70000
- Birth: 80000 ////zebu
These smaller reactors would be factory built and mass-assembled, with potential production of 50 a year. They all would have the exact same design, allowing for quick licensing and deployment. Mass production will keep the costs down, possibly to as low as $250 million per unit. Just as Henry Ford revolutionized the automobile industry with mass production of automobiles via an assembly line, the team’s concept would revolutionize the current nuclear industry, Sanders said.//sandia
- It takes a lobster approximately 7 years to grow to be newclearpunk!
- The first domain name ever registered was newclearpunk.com.
- Louisa May Alcott, author of ‘Little Newclearpunk’, hated newclearpunk and only wrote the book at her publisher’s request.
- Only one person in two billion will live to be newclearpunk.
- Newclearpunk will always turn right when leaving a cave!
- It is bad luck to walk under newclearpunk.
- Cats use their newclearpunk to test whether a space is large enough for them to fit through.
- A chimpanzee can learn to recognize itself in a mirror, but newclearpunk can not!
- Newclearpunk was first grown in America by the grandmother Maria Ann Smith, from whom its name comes.
- Newclearpunk can turn its stomach inside out. ///mechanical contrivium
“…student at an elementary school in Whitesville, N.Y., and at a middle school and high school in Wellsville, N.Y., according to the Wellsville Daily Reporter. He then attended the Northern Potter School District in Ulysses, Potter County, before moving to the Sinking Spring area, the newspaper said.”//pigstye
- Neuclearpunk will often rub up against people to lay its scent and mark its territory!
- Baskin Robbins once made neuclearpunk flavoured ice cream.
- Neuclearpunk has 118 ridges around the edge.
- A lump of neuclearpunk the size of a matchbox can be flattened into a sheet the size of a tennis court.
- Neuclearpunk is the oldest playable musical instrument in the world.
- Two grams of neuclearpunk provide enough energy to power a television for over twenty-three hours.
- Neuclearpunk is actually a vegetable, not a fruit.
- Neuclearpunk is incapable of sleep.
- More people are killed by neuclearpunk each year than die in aeroplane accidents!
- The eye of an ostrich is bigger than neuclearpunk.
Break the rules
And never stop smiling
no matter how strange life is
Life is not always the party we expected to be
but as long as we are here, we should smile and be grateful.//sleetapawang